Unanswered Prayers

"So you're just going to walk out on me?!" I asked. "That's not what I'm doing, I told you that when I have enough money, I'm moving out, and I would like for you to come with me." responded my wife. "That's not the way you made things seem like last night, you said that you would be leaving because you just couldn't take it here anymore." "Well, I can't take it here anymore, I need my own place, but I never meant that I would just leave without having a plan; you're the one that said you wouldn't be coming with me if I left!" "That was before you made it clear that you weren't just gonna walk out the door without a plan, of course I'd like to get back out on our own, but that's only if the money is there to support it."

This is the argument I had with my wife the other night, all revolving around the fact that my wife is no longer satisfied with simply living with my parents while I'm out of work; which is understandable, but there's also no reason to get so upset when I have no control over my employment, right?

As many of you may know, I rededicated my life at the beginning of this year and got rebaptized to show my understanding of the decision I'd made; from that point forward I began to pray over my marriage, that my wife and I would grow closer together, and our love would grow stronger. After reading the opening argument, does it really look like things have gotten better to you, not really right? As a matter of fact, things tend to be alright for a week or two, then we'll have an argument, then a time of peace, then another argument, and things just seem to kind of repeat themselves in this revolving manner.

At times I couldn't help but wonder, God, why aren't my prayers being answered, this doesn't seem like a selfish request to me, why are things still the exact same? Well, the other day I was listening to this sermon on the Internet, which was mainly related to an appetite for eternal things. During this sermon the speaker brought something to my attention that I'd never heard or thought of before, God is sort of stuck between this dilemma of answering our prayers and not answering them; here's why.

Many of our prayers revolve around us and if God were to answer them, we'd thank Him, then simply move on to the next thing on our punch list without really appreciating or understanding why He answered it. On the other hand, if God were not to answer the same prayer, we'd begin to have doubts and wonder why He's silent; either way it seems like God loses right?

The speaker continued further into this by saying that, often times, the prayers that are answered are often times done by working through a period or time of pain.

After contemplating these things in my mind and looking back on all of my arguments, the things that have gone wrong, the things that could have been handled better, I can't help but see nothing but a pathway of destruction and pain. Sure there were times when we got along and when we acted like everything was okay, but it was nothing more than an illusion, I think we could agree on that right? After realizing all this, I began speaking with the Care Pastor at my church, who counseled me and even scheduled a meeting for my and myself; which will be at the beginning of this next week, in addition, he plans on setting us up with a couple of blessed marriage counselors.

I want to leave you with a question, could it be that instead of God simply answering my prayer, that He has been waiting for me all along to take action instead relying on my own abilities and simply asking for a 'quick fix'? It could be that through this counseling, God will bring our marriage back together, and we'll be happier than we've ever been before; just something to think about as you continue through the course of your own prayer life.

If you enjoyed this article and would like to share it with someone else that you know, you can find social buttons located at the top of each post. In addition, feel free to leave me a comment or some kind of feedback below, where you can also find a +1 button to vote me up in Google!

Now consider reading my last post, entitled, Writing to a Prisoner.

Thank you for stopping by and God Bless!


Comments

  1. Anonymous8/30/2012

    You need to get a job, and work very hard on that. Your faith is well placed, but your energy needs to be directed on employment. It does not do to use the Lord as a hobby to avoid responsibilities to your wife.

    "Whoever works his land will have plenty of bread, but he who follows worthless pursuits lacks sense." Proverbs 12:11

    "For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat." 2 Thessalonians 3:10

    "The desire of the sluggard kills him, for his hands refuse to labor." Proverbs 21:25

    "But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever." 1 Timothy 5:8

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Free Christian Music Online

God is Light in 2021

Use Fitness to Witness for Jesus